Wanted: Developer Teammate to Solve Climate Change with Food
Fork Ranger's mission is to help millions of people switch to a healthy and sustainable diet with a gamified recipe app. I’m looking for a mobile app developer to join me as co-founder . The most important part is that you can build an app and are passionate about the mission.
The food system makes up 33% of all greenhouse gases and most of it comes from eating too much meat. Alongside fossil fuels, it’s one of the most destructive forces on the planet.
The simplest solution is to change our diet. We don’t have to become vegan, only to make meat a luxury product for the weekend. A lot of people are interested to eat more sustainably but don’t know where to start. That’s where Fork Ranger is going to help.
It all started when I found out about the huge impact of meat but was frustrated with most vegetarian recipes. They had unknown ingredients or didn’t fill me enough. So I created a book that explains the problem and gives ‘user-friendly’ recipes. It has helped hundreds of people to eat less meat and now I want to translate this into an enjoyable digital experience.
Through recipes and food I want to inspire people to be part of the solution for a better world. I want people to feel like they can make a difference when it comes to climate change. It’s about offering a new version of 'the good life' that is not centred around consumerism but a purposeful life.
The product I’m working on is a gamified journey with recipes for climate change. This tackles two tricky questions that people struggle with:
- Wat kan ik aan klimaatverandering doen?
- What’s for dinner?
The first version of the Fork Ranger app is already live. Right now it only shows recipes and what’s missing is the gamification and journey. That’s the part I want to figure out together with you.
The current app is built in SwiftUI, using JSON to import the recipes. It would be great if you can continue in Swift but that’s not a requirement. I’m curious to hear your thoughts on this as well.
This video gives a first impression of my approach to eating sustainably
A different way to look at the problem is ‘diet goals’. People have always had diet goals and a new one is ‘eating sustainably’. Fork Ranger is going to help people achieve their diet goals in a fun way through a gamified journey with easy recipes.
I hope that by now you’re excited about the idea. Time to tell you a little about myself because becoming a co-founder is a bit like marriage 🙂
One of the reasons I’m working on climate change is that I love the outdoors. My other motivation is the gut-wrenching inequality of the poor suffering for the CO2 emissions of the rich.
Creating the Fork Ranger book was a lot of fun because all my skills came together in one project: formulating an inspiring vision, storytelling, photography, and design. What I enjoy most is translating a complex topic into something simple and fun, and getting other people excited about it.
I feel extremely driven and prepared for this mission because Fork Ranger is essentially a communication problem: how can we translate the learnings from climate science into desirable recipes that people want to make?
Besides storytelling, I have always felt a passion for leadership and business. What I'm good at it is creating something people love and connecting users, investors or anyone else to the vision. I have big dreams and to give Fork Ranger the wings to take off I'm looking for a teammate to take ownership of the technology part. That’s why you’re here.
Besides the practical points that you either speak Dutch or English and are able to work in Amsterdam, there are three main things I’m looking for:
1) Passionate about the mission
You don’t need to be a vegetarian but you should join for the right reasons: working on a solution for climate change.
2) Skills to build an awesome app
I’m looking for someone who has coding experience to build an app and quickly learn on the go. The programming language or experience matters less than your ability to learn fast and get things done quickly.
With ‘awesome app’ I mean something that users will love. That implies both a good technical performance as well as being user-friendly. You don’t need to be a designer (that’s my job), but a passion for great UX is important.
3) Ambition of a co-founder
I’m looking for a teammate to join me on this wild adventure. Startup life is amazing but it’s not easy. Being a co-founder means that you take initiative, have your own vision for the product, and take ownership for more than just the code you write. We’re in this together.
- Responsibility: Build the app
- Salary: none (until we get funding)
- Equity: to be determined
- When: as soon as possible (starting part-time is fine)
- Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
What’s in it for you?
I’ve been working on Fork Ranger for two years and made some good progress. I’m willing to share ‘my baby’ with the right person so you get to be the owner of the company as well. If you’re looking for the thrill of startups and want to improve the world, this might be a good opportunity to step into something promising.
In short, this is what I can offer:
- The purpose of building something great for humanity
- The joy and friendship of working in an ambitious team
- Ownership in a startup that has the market opportunity to get very big
- The reward of being your own boss and creating a great company from the ground up
- A chance to make more impact than Elon Musk (changing diets can save a lot more CO2 than electric cars)
What is a bad fit?
There are many good reasons not to join as co-founder.
- Prefer to work alone
- Prefer not to mix up professional and personal life
- Looking for a stable job and income
- Mainly interested in technology or startups and not the mission
- Interested to code but not deal with user problems
What is a good fit?
- Want to make the world a better place
- Excited to form a long-term ‘professional friendship’
- Taking initiative and bringing in own ideas
- Love for programming
- Desire to produce high-quality work, aiming for the best
- Looking for the thrilling experience of startup life
How to get in touch
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and tell me something about these four points. You can write in English or Dutch.
- Passion for the mission: why would you like to join? What excites you most about this project? How have you been trying to make a difference so far?
- Skills to build an app: what is your experience? What have you been working on? (please mention details like programming language)
- Ambition as a co-founder: why are you interested to become a co-founder? What makes you excited about startup life?
- Some personal things: where do you live? What do you enjoy and what do you dislike?
Don’t expect a reply if you simply send in your CV or ask questions in the comments section. I want to know who you are and if you share the same vision and have the right skillset for it.
I will not reply to any app proposals from agencies or freelancers, I’m looking for a co-founder.
May the forks be with you!